Where is asbestos found in Indiana?
Steel Industry. Indiana’s steel industry has long posed the serious health threats associated with asbestos exposure. Those who have and continue to work in steel mills are often exposed to extreme heat and fire. Naturally, these workers used gloves, aprons, hoods, and other equipment designed specifically to protect against such occupational hazards. Ironically, these protective measures posed new and perhaps more serious health threats. To resist flame and heat, protective gear like gloves and hoods were made with asbestos. Asbestos, a material used in over 300 industrial and residential products, can cause serious diseases when inhaled or ingested.
Oil refineries. Indiana oil refineries also pose asbestos exposure risks of employees and other citizens. As with the steel mills, protective gear used in oil refineries actually increase the risk of serious occupational injury.
Other sources. Construction, renovation, and demolition sites, power plants, schools, and other buildings in Indiana are other potential sites of asbestos exposure, which can lead to serious diseases, including mesothelioma cancer and asbestosis.
Asbestos illness and mortality in Indiana
Between 1979 and 1999, over 500 Indiana residents died from asbestos related diseases such as mesothelioma, lung cancer, and asbestosis. While each of these people was priceless, one famous mesothelioma cancer victim from Indiana is particularly notable. His celebrity status provoked widespread attention to this case and helped inform the American public about mesothelioma and asbestos exposure.
Film legend and Indiana native Steve McQueen, who appeared in films such as The Blob, The Thomas Crown Affair, The Great Escape, Midnight Cowboy and Papillion, was diagnosed with mesothelioma cancer at the age of 49 and died less than one year later. When he was young McQueen served in the US Marines and later earned fame as a race car driver at a time when racers suits were lined with asbestos.
Contact us for more information about the legal rights of mesothelioma victims who were wrongfully exposed to asbestos in Indiana.
Mesothelioma Treatment Centers in Indiana
Indiana University Medical Center
975 W Walnut St
Indianapolis, IN 46202, United States
The Indiana University Melvin and Bren Simon Cancer Center is one of the top cancer research hospitals in the US. It is centrally located on the IU School of Medicine campus in Indianapolis. At this cancer center, there are more than 200 scientists studying cancer research in five different programs. The goal of each program is to fully understand the complex molecular changes that cause cancer to begin. Then, the program comes up with new therapies to prevent and treat many types of cancer.
Every year, cancer researchers here make major discoveries in cancer research and treatment that change how doctors treat many types of cancer, including thoracic cancers such as lung cancer and mesothelioma.
The IU Simon Cancer Center is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in the state. NCI-designated Cancer Centers around the US must meet tough criteria for multidisciplinary cancer research. Each center puts major resources into developing the best cancer research programs, doctors, scientists and facilities that will lead to the curing of cancer in the coming years. The NCI designation is a strong indicator of excellence in cancer research and treatment, and also opens doors to more federal funding and resources for cancer research.
The NCI designation was renewed in 2004, 2008 and 2014, so cancer patients know they are getting only the best cancer care.
The IU Simon Cancer Center works with several IU centers and schools, private entities and a large hospital system to do its cancer care, research and education programs. These organizations include
- The American Cancer Society, which, with its millions of supporters around the world, saves many lives and creates a better world with less cancer. This organization helps people to get well, find cancer cures and stay well over time.
- Big 10 Cancer Research Consortium, which brings together all of the cancer centers in the Big 10 to overhaul how cancer research is conducted in new oncology clinical trials that can leverage all of the scientific expertise of each university. This Big 10 organization creates a team-based approach to research to drive cancer science quickly from ideas to new treatments.
- Harper Cancer Research Institute, which is a partnership of the IU School of Medicine and the University of Notre Dame. Investigators here are fully dedicated to doing new and innovative cancer research that overcomes the challenges of cancer diagnosis.
- National Cancer Institute, which is part of NIH and the Department of Health and Human Services. Main responsibilities include the managementment of the national cancer program and to conduct and support cutting edge cancer research.
- Purdue University Center for Cancer Research, which also is an NCI-designated cancer center in IN that conducts highly advanced cancer research. It is dedicated to assisting cancer patients to identify new molecular targets and devise new agents and drugs to defeat cancer.
This center also partners with Indiana University Health so that cancer patients may benefit from new scientific discoveries that are made at the IU Simon Cancer Center.
Legal Help Indiana
If you have suffered exposure or cancer due to asbestos in Indiana, contact for Indiana Asbestos lawsuit information to learn more about your legal rights.